In a media release today, FIFA's Ethics Committee, under the chairmanship of Petrus Damaseb of Namibia, has decided to ban football officials from taking part in any football-related activity whether administrative, sports or any other, for periods of between one year, and life.
The bans, and warning followed investigations by FIFA into what were reported in the news of alleged violations of the FIFA Code of Ethics which was linked to the FIFA presidential election, held earlier this year.
As a result of the allegations, and the investigations being undertaken, FIFA's Vice President Mr. Jack Warner had tendered his resignation on June 20.
Mr Warner's self-determined resignation, meant that all Ethics Committee procedures against him were closed, and the presumption of innocence was maintained.
Today's media release stated the following:
Mohamed bin Hammam (FIFA Executive Committee member) was banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other) at national and international level for a period of life.
Debbie Minguell of Trinidad and Tobago, (Caribbean Football Union official) was banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other) at national and international level for a period of one year.
Jason Sylvester of Trinidad and Tobago, (Caribbean Football Union official) was banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other) at national and international level for a period of one year.
Chuck Blazer of The United States of America, (FIFA Executive Committee member) received a warning for comments he made on 30 May at the CONCACAF Caucus held in Zurich. These comments suggested some CFU members were "under investigation", when this was not true.
One wonders what would have been the fate of Mr. Warner if he hadn't resigned, and had waited the outcome of all investigations into this matter.
Damaseb's five-man panel asked FIFA's legal department to prepare cases against officials who attended bin Hammam's campaign stop at a Port of Spain hotel.
Those present included executive committee members Worawi Makudi of Thailand, Vernon Manilal Fernando of Sri Lanka and Hany Abou Rida from Egypt.
Caribbean soccer leaders believed to have taken bin Hammam's bribes, and denying to FIFA investigators that any corruption took place, are also under suspicion.
Bin Hammam's lawyer said he maintained his innocence and rejected the findings based on "so-called circumstantial evidence."
"He will continue to fight his case through the legal routes that are open to him," lead counsel Eugene Gulland told reporters.
"We are confident of the strength of our case and invite FIFA to make available now to the media a full transcript of these proceedings," Gulland said in a prepared statement.